Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Storage and Display - DIY pedestal bowl

I have a Pottery Barn book called Storage and Display, and it has completely changed the way I think about organization in my house.  One of the BIG things I've learned from it is the value of small decorative dishes.  Take your front entrance for example.  You walk in with your keys, the baby's soother, and some coupon you got at the grocery store.  You put this little pile on the little table you have in the front hall.  It sits there for however long - probably until you go out again, or longer.  In the mean time it looks like a pile of random items.  Now imagine that same front hall table with a bunch of little bowls and dishes on it.  You toss each of the random items you have in your hands into one of these dishes and voila - they are where they're supposed to be.  Your entrance looks automatically cleaned up and tidy.  I have a tray of little dishes beside my kitchen sink, in the bathroom and beside my bed.  My house is far from cleaned up and tidy, but they certainly help.  Here is a great idea that adds a bit of height and style to your collection of catch-all dishes.

1 comment:

  1. i want to go out and collect abandoned nests on friday to decorate for easter. i know mae is still too little to love them but she'll learn.

    ReplyDelete

contribute